Member contributions and proceeds from AAUW sponsored fundraising events provide annual scholarship money for women attending Indian River State College (IRSC). Four IRSC college tuition scholarships have been awarded each year since 1971.
The scholarships are awarded to Indian River County adult women attending Indian River State College who have completed their AA degree and are continuing their education toward a Bachelor’s degree. Our preference is to award these scholarships to women who have returned to college after an interruption in their education, have maintained a 3.0 average, and exhibit a need for help in funding their education, and specialize in STEM-related fields. The scholarships are administered by Indian River State College.
In addition, we have established an endowed scholarship at Indian River State College that currently awards approximately $500 annually. Those who wish are encouraged to add a gift to the endowed scholarship fund to increase the award. Individuals can also donate a separate scholarship in any amount.
All of these scholarships are designated as AAUW Vero Beach Branch scholarships. Information for making a contribution can be obtained from Carla Calwell, Branch Director for Scholarships (257-6469).
For 2016-17, our transfer scholarships of $ 1200 each have been awarded to the following students:
- Nesly Cendejas, seeking a BS in Computer Science and a career in IT Cyber security
- Taylor Vignone, seeking a BS in Biology and a career as a Physicians Assistant
- Rachael Tiamiyu, seeking a BS in Biology/Biotechnology and plans to apply to medical school upon graduation
- Kimberly Thiemann, seeing a BS in Nursing and a career in pediatric oncology
- Stacey Bush, who is seeking a BAS in Organizational Management, received our Branch Endowed scholarship of $ 500.
2014-15: Five scholarships of $ 1,000 each were awarded to Mary Cavanaugh, Rochelle Santoy, Joanne Sawicki, Tiffany Smiley, Joanne Zjezdzalka